MLB Transactions: March 14th, 2018
Below is a full list of the transactions in baseball on March 14th, 2018.
- The Baltimore Orioles demoted outfielder Joey Rickard and pitcher Jayson Aquino. Joey Rickard was battling for a reserve outfield spot on the big league roster during spring training. Rickard will be a called upon at some point this season.
- The New York Yankees released Adam Lind. Adam Lind, 34, signed a minor league contract with the Yankees in hopes of cracking the team’s roster as a utility player but the team found him expendable. Lind could find another minor league deal before spring training concludes.
- The Oakland Athletics designated/later released Jairo Labourt from his contract. The move is said to be the move that will clear a roster spot for newly signed catcher Jonathan Lucroy. This is the second time Labourt is cut from an MLB team this as he was recently acquired from the Cincinnati Reds just weeks ago.
- The San Diego Padres optioned Luis Torrens to AA – San Antonio. Luis Torrens was battling with A.J. Ellis this spring for the backup role behind Austin Hedges and it is Ellis who won the backup role. Luis Torrens will be the Padres go to backup option should an injury occur to Hedges or Ellis in 2018.
- The Cincinnati Reds sent Joe Mantiply to minor league camp. Joe Mantiply, 27, will miss the entire 2018 season due to Tommy John Surgery, which he underwent earlier this week. Mantiply will look to crack the Cincinnati Reds roster next season.